This is not any different than when you start working on other marketing materials. Video is another marketing tactic that should fit in your overall strategy, just like social media, advertising, and (taking it old school) direct mail. Sometimes our “first timers” know what they want (an awesome video with cool illustrations and slick animations) and forget that we need some information before we can get there.
Here’s where we’ll start so be ready to talk about…
- What is your product or service? Why does it exist?
- Who benefits most from your product or service?
- What problem does it solve?
- How does it work?
- Who is the purchaser of your product or service?
- Who do you want to watch this video and understand what your product or service is (this may be different than who benefits from your product)
- What is the single story or message you want to tell? If viewers walk away understanding 1 thing it should be…
- What is you industry like – is it new? Well-established? Who are your competitors? Do people know they need what you have to offer?
- What is the look, feel, and tone of your company? Of your service? Of your audience? What is your BRAND?
- What are your goals with this video: increased traffic? More sales? Awareness? Training?
- How does this video fit with other marketing channels?
- What competitive or example videos have you seen that you like? That you do not like?
This conversation usually takes about 30 minutes and gives us what we need to take the next step – which is drafting a script and crafting a visual style. This is where your video will start to come to life, it’s the fun part.